Monday, September 20, 2010

Summary of The long-distance voyage of Plastic

http://www.eurekalert.org/features/kids/2010-08/aaft-tlv081310.php


The article, The long-distance voyage of Plastic, is about plastic in the Atlantic Ocean.  For twenty-two years, scientists have been researching the amount of plastic by collecting samples from the ocean surface and studying them.  They were surprised to learn that the amount of plastic didn’t decrease or increase over twenty-two years.  That surprised me because I think we use more today than we did twenty-two years.  The marine biologists think that either the fish are eating the plastic, it’s sinking to the bottom of the ocean or it is too small to collect in the net.  I think all of these may be true.  Obviously all of these options are extremely bad for the environment, the fish that live in the Atlantic Ocean and even people who eat fish.  Dr. Kara Law and her colleagues researching this serious problem. In the mean time, I encourage everyone to recycle their plastic containers and help save our oceans.

2 comments:

  1. Good Work Emma, I read that article too, and it interested me as much as it interests you (i hope)!Weird mystery, right...I will recycle plastic from now on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have either of you watched the video on plastic gyres in the Pacific ocean? Have a look on YouTube.

    Great article Emma. I like how you include your opinion in this post as well as facts from the article.

    ReplyDelete